You've taken one of the most notoriously complex parts of animating, and made it very nearly simple. Incredible! I'll definitely review this tutorial next time I encounter hand problems. Thanks!
No Lost Vikings but...
Pleas tell me you've played the Lost Vikings games? Well if not your games are amazingly similar in idea and execution. However, the lost vikings had funnier dialog at the start of levels, special abilities for each character, more monsters and harder challenges. I know this isn't quite fair but I can't help but seeing your game as a far inferior version of lost vikings. Still I think what you have hear is a very good start, but if you could somehow make it deeper, with more abilities for the characters and stuff, this game would be further improved. As it is, I felt like the puzzle solving challenge was minimal since there were a very limited amount of "tools" to try solve the puzzle with. Also I felt like the character animations could have used some improvement (why DO they have no arms?) And the voice acting was a bit lack luster. Keep at it, and good luck with future games!
I've actually never played the lost vikings games, and I never heard of them until I finished Best Friends Forever 1 :P When Decade came to me with the idea of multiple person platformer, I just kind of shaped it into this, and then someone told me about lost vikings, lol.
Thanks for the review.
Good tutorial, room for improvement
So, overall I liked this tutorial, if everyone read it almost no submissions would get blamed. However, since you are planning on resubmitting it I'm going to focus on how I think it could be improved.
1) I felt like it moved a bit slow overall, maybe it was just the fact that most of the information wasn't new to me, but I felt like the text and the narrator went very slowly. I would re-narrate it, a little bit faster and a little bit more passionately. Also, as someone already suggested you should have arrows to allow people to skip ahead if they've already finsihed reading the text.
2) Although the information provided was good I felt like their somehow just wasn't quite enough. I know this is supposed to be a very basic tutorial, but I think if you included a few more advanced ideas, like shading or 3-D drawing perhaps that would also help get it a better score.
3) I think you should spend a bit more time on the car scene, it would have been nice to see you go further in making it better, maybe making the car shrink as it goes closer to the horizon, add reflections to the cars wind shield, or add spinning wheels. I donno I'm just throwing ideas out there take it or leave it.
4) Perhaps you should create a main menu and then break the tutorial into several different sections it would allow authors who were only looking for a particular part of the tutorial to access it.
These are just a few of my ideas, I hope that some of them where helpful :)
Thank you very much for the thought that obviously went into this.
1. This is perhaps the most important thing to reconsider. The pace is a very important part of the overall impression, but if I change it, other people may like it less- although the score was a dissappointment two people have fav'ed it (no-on I know!) and the review score shows that for those who are interested in help at this level it is what they wanted it to be.
2. More advanced things will go into AI2. I have been offered help from Versucha and Skaijo on that, but I can't do advanced stuff anyway!
3. I don't quite get this cos the car shrinks to around 10% of its starting size. Maybe I will try these other things- I have never done!
4. Since you can go straight to the main menu at the end and scene select from there I don't think I will change this one, but in AI 2 I may put the main menu at the beginning, as you say.
You have clearly grasped the main thing I was aiming for- to get crappy noobs to do the basics so they could pass judgement. Not everyone seemed to get that!
Loads of fun!
Ladies and Gentlemen <crowd boo> America stands commited to squandered lives on a massive scale. We must never again defend our principle: peace freedom and justice. Iraq, Afganistan, and beyond will fear deceiful dictators including my own. We've accomplished much, violent ambitions, wickedness persistant povery in the United States are the nations urgent duty. We created innocent lives further destuction. <Luagh>
Great game. I had alot of fun making Bush say both the right and wrong things!
I loved it!
Great game! The idea behind it was very unique and it was well executed. In fact the idea was so unique that it took me a while to get the hang of it but once I understood it I loved it. My only complaint is that sometimes when a creature without a bottle walks in front of a creature with a bottle it screens you from clicking on the creature with the bottle for a half a second, which is annoying in a game of timing like this. Besides that I thought it was great fun.
Yeah I know about it. But when I tried to use swapDepths() for this game it goes buggy. But it's not so very important thing :)
That game was very fun... My only complaint is that the cupid stage was much harder then all the other stages combined...
A Completly Unique game
The game was extremely entertaining and challenging. It is one of the few games on NG I can play for hours on end. Great work! I can't wait for a sequel.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.